Monday, July 11, 2005

Uncle Andy

Yesterday, Chris, I and the boys were invited to my aunt and uncle's house for a birthday celebration for my cousin. I gladly accepted the invitation because I always enjoy my Uncle Andy and I don't get to see my family very often any more.

Most of my mom's side immigrated from Holland to the United States together. They settled down in Everett within blocks from each other. They found a church to attend nearby. I attended that church with my folks, my grandparents, my aunts and uncles and my cousins. Chris and I were married in that church and our boys were born into that church. A few years after Nathan was born, Chris and I decided to change churches. We are now happy members of Calvary Chapel Marysville :) I digress. . .It was a tough decision, but it was the move God had us make. As we left the church, we also left behind my family. I don't get to see them on a regular basis anymore, so I always happily accept any invitations to family get-togethers. Especially ones at Uncle Andy's house.

My folks took me camping when I was kid. We always went with Uncle Andy, Aunt Gerda, Jeannette and Jodie. We always had a good time. Uncle Andy would let us get away with anything and he could always make me laugh. Whether he told corny jokes or told the story of the Three Pittle Ligs, I was always in stitches.

I grew up practically living at their house. I was invited to come spend the night, hang out for a day or they would take me on one of their adventures. I loved being around my Uncle Andy.

One very fond memory I have of Uncle Andy is the way he would greet me. He would hold out his arms and yell "CORA". Then I would hold out my arms and yell "UNCLE ANDY". Then we would run to each other and give each other a big hug. He still greets me that way today.

I rushed Chris out of the house Sunday so we could get over there so I could give him one of my big hugs. When we got there, I didn't see him right away and began to visit with other uncle's and aunt's. I started up a conversation with his wife, my aunt, and his two daughters, my cousins. I don't recall exactly how the conversation came about, but I remember my aunt asking me "you mean, you don't know?" I looked from her to my cousins and asked "know what?"

"You really don't know?"

"No, I don't. What is it?"

Aunt Gerda told me. "Uncle Andy has prostate cancer."

I felt like a semi truck ran me over. "What?" I had to sit down.

"Oh, honey, I'm sorry. I thought your mom would have told you by now."

"No, mom hasn't told me. What is going on? How long have you known?"

"We have known about three weeks. He is going in for surgery on the 25th."

Just then, my Uncle Andy decided to step up to me. I was doing fine until I saw him. "Oh, Uncle Andy." And I started to cry.

He put his arms around me in one of those wonderful hugs I love so much. "It's okay. They caught it early enough. All the odds are in my favor. I am going to have surgery and I am going to be just fine."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, dear, I'm sure. I am going to be just fine."

I left that day giving him another big hug, telling him he was in my prayers and that I love him. Very much. And I look forward to the next big hug.

I am going to leave my Uncle Andy in God's hands. I trust that God knows what is best for him. I have faith, that no matter what happens, God's plans will be fulfilled.

But, if you remember, will you say a prayer for my Uncle Andy?

2 Comments:

At July 12, 2005 12:25 AM, Blogger Kim said...

(((Cora))) I got all choked up reading your post. You have such special memories of him. You're so fortunate to have such a loving family. I will definitely be praying for your Uncle Andy.

 
At July 13, 2005 8:50 AM, Blogger Fran said...

I'll be praying for your uncle too Cora. He sounds like a great guy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home