Tuesday, June 21, 2005

John 3:16

It's a passage we all learned as kids. We were forced to memorize it. We can recite it at a drop of a hat. But have you ever stopped and considered what the verse is actually saying to us?

For God so loved the world
This is the great truth that motivated God's plan of salvation. He so loves the world - that in itself is amazing. Look at the world, the people in it, the things that are happening. I look at myself and say "how can God love me, a sinner who constantly stumbles?" But it says so right here: God so loved the world. That is you and me. 1 John 4:10 says "This is love: not that we love God, but that He loved us". We have done nothing and yet God loves us.

that He gave His one and only Son
Isaiah 9:6 says "For to us a child is born, to us a son is given and the government will be on his shoulders and he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."

God freely gave us His Son. He was sent down from perfection to earth to become human so He may live a life in the flesh as you and I do. Hitting his thumb with a hammer or stubbing his toe. He felt pain like you and I. He became human so He could suffer and die for you and me.

Romans 8:32 says "He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all - how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?"

If God gave the supreme gift of His Son to save us, He will certainly also give whatever is necessary to bring to fulfillment the work begun at the cross.

Romans 5:8 says "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: while we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

that whoever believes in Him
This is referring to you and me. You and me who are sinners, you and me who are undeserving, you and me who stumble, you and me who are everyday asking God's forgiveness for the sin we have done. You and me who are believers. Believers in that Jesus Christ bled, died and rose again so that our sins might be washed away. And it is that simple: just believe.

And all that for what??

so that you shall not perish but have eternal life!
And that right there is the goal. We shall not perish because death is not an ending for us but rather a new beginning of eternal life in heaven with Jesus Christ where we will no longer have sin, pain or sorrow. Where we will no longer stumble, but live in perfection with Jesus Christ, boasting in His glory.

So, memorize it. Recite it. And along with that, tell the glorious truth of this magnificent verse.

1 Comments:

At June 25, 2005 7:33 PM, Blogger Fran said...

Okay! I'm commenting! I did read it and I do like it! You did a great job! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home