Saturday, June 18, 2005

Taking a break from God

Sitting at home with my family one night, I was trying to have a conversation with my husband, Chris, about an issue that was getting me very frustrated. The kids were constantly interrupting us and the phone rang. I ended my phone conversation with my friend in frustration realizing that I only had a few minutes to eat dinner as I had to be at Bible study soon. Rushing a good bye to my family, I headed out the door.

While I was driving, my frustration grew even more as I realized that I was on my way to lead a group of women in a Bible study; a study of turning from darkness and walking in the light and I was feeling very inadequate about it.

As I got to a stoplight, I figured out what I should do. Waiting for the light to turn green, I said out loud, in a loud voice, "I need to take a break from God". That was it, the solution I was waiting for.

Not even a second went by when something instantly popped into my head: "I will never take a break from you". That was God instantly responding to me and telling me, not reminding me, but TELLING me that He will never leave me. It was a reminder of Deuteronomy 31:6 that tells us "I will never leave you nor forsake you."

I went home after my Bible study anxious for Chris to be awake so we could talk about this. Chris doesn't sleep well when I am not there. He can't fall asleep until I get home. But, when I got home that night, he was fast asleep.

When we did talk about this the next day, he told me something. He said at about 8:15 that previous night, he was sitting on the couch falling asleep. He could not keep his eyes open. So, he decided to just go to bed. As he was laying down and getting comfortable, he felt that God was telling him that everything was okay and he could just go to sleep.

God was working in my heart, telling me that He would never leave me and reassuring Chris that He is working on me and not to worry.

I never took that break that I was so sure I needed. Just the opposite. I reached out to God in different ways and have felt His presence ever since.

When you feel like life is just too much for you and you think you need a break, reach out to God. He promises that He will NEVER let you go!

5 Comments:

At June 18, 2005 7:55 PM, Blogger shannon said...

I'm so glad you didn't take that break, Cora.

I'm also glad you are so real with Him. I think sometimes we're afraid to voice our true feelings or fears--as if we could fool the Almighty. :)

Isn't it great when you hear something so clearly like that?

Thanks for sharing this!

 
At June 18, 2005 9:35 PM, Blogger Fran said...

Very cool Cora. I love that I can be real with God. Especially since it seems that there are those you have to put on the happy face for. With God He already knows what we feel and think so we might as well just be honest about it.

I love how you wrote "Not even a second went by when something instantly popped into my head: "I will never take a break from you". "

God is not far off. He was right there to immediately catch you before you ran off. He's so awesome isn't He?!

 
At June 20, 2005 8:19 AM, Blogger Kim said...

Wonderful post, Cora! I'm so glad you're blogging! Thanks for sharing this one. :)

 
At June 21, 2005 2:54 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Cora,

I was surfing Blogger and came across your blog. Let me tell you I was blessed by reading it. Keep up the good work and draw down upon the Lord's strength.

Carl Gobelman
http://newcreationperson.blogspot.com/

 
At July 02, 2005 9:23 PM, Blogger Christabelle said...

Cora, thank you so much for this blog! I can't tell you the times I've been upset with everyone and just needed God to remind me He was there. You are awesome. I love you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home