Tuesday, June 28, 2005

A Good Deed

I woke up one morning to the sound of a man talking. It was the newsman telling me the latest goings on. My alarm clock is set to the local news station. I like to catch up on the news, weather and sports before climbing out of bed to start my day.

This particular morning, the newsman had a startling story to wake me up with. He was telling me of two children's bodies being recovered after missing for a few days only to find out the father of one of them had taken them and murdered them both.

I crawled out of bed with a sinking feeling. How did we get to a place in this society where father's kidnap their own children and kill them? Are there any good people left out there?

I went about my day. I was driving down a road on my way to the local grocery store when an interesting scene caught my eye. I was passing a school. It must have been recess, because the kids were out playing in the fenced play ground. I watched as a ball came bouncing over the fence into the street.

I then noticed an old pickup pull over to the side of the road. A husky looking man with tattoos emerged from the truck. My defenses went up and I thought he was going to give those kids what for. Instead, to my amazement and delight, the man picked up the ball and threw it back over the fence for the kids. They gave him a smile, a wave and a big thank you and went back to their playing. The man smiled and waved back, got in his truck and drove away.

It warmed my heart to see a good deed done and I realized that we needed more husky men with tattoos in the world.

How about you? What good deeds have you done lately?

3 Comments:

At June 30, 2005 3:07 PM, Blogger Fran said...

I ate eggs. :) I liked your post. I've noticed that often the roughest, meanest looking guy is just a big marshmallow underneath.

 
At July 03, 2005 11:09 PM, Blogger shannon said...

Well ... I helped my friend Cora set up her blog. Does that count? :)

Great post, Cora-belle. I hoped you'd blog about that guy.

Keep it up!

 
At July 05, 2005 6:21 PM, Blogger Kim said...

Loved this post. :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home